Monday, March 22, 2010

Isolation

When our schedule said we would have an isolation period, I didn't think our hosts would take it so literally. As I write this I am sitting on a beach, near our bungalow awaiting dinner. I am now seeing the same constellations I haven't seen since when I was in Australia. Obviously the light pollution in Manila has not allowed us to see the island stars. Our team was treated to a relaxed day with a little swimming, local food, massages and fantastic filipino rum. It's not all paradise...the infamous Filipino mosquitos are just now beginning to bite. However, once we get the bonfire going, I am sure they will not be so much a problem anymore. After the hectic week that was the District Conference, albeit fun, it is certainly nice to break from rigid schedules and the traffic of Manila. Now, the folks who have taken us here today say they find time to enjoy this sort of Filipino tranquility at least once a month. It makes me wonder why most Americans do mot take similiar time to do this with their families. On the eve of a stressful day for US lawmakers--presumably the health care vote will come down Sunday--I think of my coworkers and all that consumes our lives as Americans. Perhaps we can take a tip from our south Pacific friends and put away the worries of the workweek and take comfort in the pleasures of simplicity and all that life has to offer. And more rum, yes, definitely more rum.

No comments:

Post a Comment